Robert E. Kornblum
22 Virginia Ridge Road, Sudbury, MA 01776
Accomplished new business development, marketing, and strategy executive with in-depth experience in channel sales development, new product positioning & introduction, and market analysis in the Internet, media, and software industries. World-class strategy and financial skill set combined with high integrity and business acumen. Proven record of success identifying growth opportunities and creating new revenue streams.
Academic credentials include an M.B.A. in Marketing and Entrepreneurship from Kellogg Graduate School of Management and a B.A. from Dartmouth College. Member of highly-selective Kauffman Fellows Program in venture capital training and networking.
Acquisition Sciences, Founder and CEO
Seed-stage, VC backed company building a next generation online coupon site
LifeCare, Inc., Shelton, CT, (2011 to 2012)
Senior Vice President- Product, Strategy & Corporate Development
Member of senior management team brought on to convert family-owned employee benefits company into Internet-based personal productivity business.
- Developed and implemented new revenue streams in multiple verticals. Negotiated and launched revenue generating performance marketing partnerships with numerous leading Internet and offline companies.
- Led strategic planning process across all functions, developing cross-functional “buy-in” and matrix accountability from all functions for annual budgeting.
- Hired and developed A players in key functions.
- Managed & directed eCommerce team which generated 95% annual revenue growth.
Bullhorn, Inc., Boston, MA,(2009 to 2011)
Vice President Corporate Development & General Manager
Reported to CEO; member of executive management team for venture-backed (Highland Capital, General Catalyst) SaaS company
- General Manager, New Business Development: Directed creation and launch of new products to expand market and diversify revenue. Led market analysis, customer requirements, product development and initial sales, positioning & product marketing. Launched 2 new products including social media recruiting platform (Bullhorn Reach) which now has 100,000 business users. Patent pending for using cloud computing SaaS data for B2B recommendations.
- Directed Bullhorn Marketplace of integrated partner products & services. Expanded alliance approach to increase revenue and improve control of sales process.
- Led strategic planning, M&A and alliances.
Independent Consultant, (2007 to 2009)
Advised various Internet companies on marketing, sales and channel partnerships. Client companies included sports media, online video, lead generation, search engine optimization, and cloud computing / SaaS.
Developed attempted LBO of billion-dollar Internet company, along with CEO and private equity investors.
Monster Worldwide, Inc., Maynard, MA (NASDAQ: MNST), (2006 to 2007)
Vice President of Business Development
Reported to President of Monster North America (monster.com); member of the executive management team for $800M+ division. Hired into this newly created role to lead strategic alliances and M&A activity to drive non-organic revenue and profit growth.
- Structured and negotiated major media alliances- Signed over 150 co-branded strategic alliances with newspaper, television, and Internet partners, increasing Monster’s share of newspaper circulation from zero to 14% in 10 months. Estimated lifetime contract value of $150M+ from these channel partners.
- Developed a non-organic growth strategy for Monster.com. Pursued new strategic opportunities presented in social networking, cable and other media, online video and pay-per-click advertising networks. Led market analysis, business case and competitor outreach for major industry consolidation.
- Led due diligence, business case development, and negotiations on acquisitions, working in conjunction the Legal and Finance teams, the North American and Corporate CFOs. Conceived and negotiated complex merger to gain #1 position in key geography.
- Developed and implemented M&A and alliance integration processes, as well as assembled and motivated a highly talented strategy and business development team.
ANGLE Technology Group, Rockville, MD(ANGLE Plc, LSE: AGL), (2004 to 2006)
An international technology commercialization firm, ANGLE forms and invests in new companies based on IP.
Managing Director, U.S. Ventures
Hired to build, from the ground up, a U.S. start-up management team for this UK-based consulting/venture management company. Developed and managed multi-million dollar P&L for all U.S. start-up and licensing activity. Identified opportunities, completed due-diligence, wrote business plans, served as acting management, and provided advisement as a Board member. Reported to U.S. CEO.
- Built operations from the ground level up. Created budget, formulated strategy, hired and managed a five-person team, and established operational processes.
- Led start-up of three new technology companies – software, digital imaging, and healthcare diagnostics. Hired CEO and served as acting CEO and/or Chairman of the Board.
Manugistics, Inc., Rockville, MD (NASDAQ: MANU), (2002 to 2004)
A leading provider of supply chain and pricing software with $250M in annual revenue
Director, Global Alliances
Promoted to co-manage Alliances Group with responsibility for revenue generation, sales, and marketing with partners. Personally managed IBM and Accenture relationships, the two largest system integrators. Reported to SVP of Strategic Sales.
- Initiated, personally structured, negotiated, and closed complex worldwide strategic alliance with all three divisions of IBM – hardware, software and services.
– Substantially expanded prior relationship to include IBM’s global sales organization. Alliance led to multi-million dollar license sales to numerous clients.
– Implemented field enablement plan of product marketing (website, collateral, and webinars), lead generation, joint account planning/solutions, and training.
- Produced 100% growth of “partner-influenced” revenue compared to prior years.
Director, Corporate Development
Developed and implemented strategies to expand revenue and “product footprint” through acquisitions and partnerships. Analyzed market requirements and competitors. Negotiated business terms and contracts and led acquisition due diligence.
Austin Ventures, Austin, TX, (1998 to 2002)
One of the largest and most active technology venture capital firms in the U.S.
Principal / Kauffman Fellow
Joined Austin Ventures as part of an 18-month Kauffman Fellows Program. Selected as one of nine Fellows from over 250 applicants nationwide for prestigious venture capital training and networking program. Upon completion of Kauffman Fellowship, asked to join Austin Ventures as Principal. Sourced, negotiated, closed, managed and exited venture capital investments in software and Internet companies (start- up to $30M in sales). Served as Board Director or Observer in ten companies; recruited senior management.
- Advised on corporate and product strategy, marketing, product development, and financial planning.Assisted three companies with negotiation of terms for acquisition by public acquirers, resulting in $575M of value for stockholders including venture capital funds, management and founders.
- Sponsored $38M of investments and personally produced top-quartile returns versus overall group.
- Prior to investment, performed in-depth due diligence on management team, technology, market opportunity, competition, and financial projections. Presented opportunities to internal committees.
- Successfully recruited top-tier co-investors including NEA, JP Morgan Partners, Morgan Stanley, TCV, Voyager Capital, Koch Ventures, Intel, and others.
Tribune Company, Chicago, IL, (1997)
Associate, Tribune Ventures
Robertson, Stephens, & Company, San Francisco, CA, (1992 to 1996)
A leading technology and life science investment bank
Associate, Technology Group, San Francisco, CA
Financial Analyst, Technology Group, Boston, MA
- Project manager for initial public offerings (IPOs), private placements, and M&A for emerging growth semiconductor, communications, and software clients. Completed 25 transactions.
Arthur D. Little, Inc., Cambridge, MA, (1991 to 1992)
Kellogg School Of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
M.B.A. in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, GPA 3.80/4.00, 1998
– Recipient of Entrepreneurship Department Top Student Award and Dean’s Distinguished Service Award.
– General Manager for the Digital Frontier Conference on New Technology.
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
B.A. in History, cum laude, 1991. Varsity Soccer- Member of 1988 Ivy League championship team.